twitterfacebookrssmail
WELCOME
We are rebuilding the articles after a host failure. Please be patient.

I’m disappointed with Vodafone

Vodafone are my mobile phone service provider, and generally, they’ve been great: I use a pay-as-you-go system, so I top up regularly, and they give me all kinds of promotional offers… they treat you like royalty. That is, up until a couple of days ago, when I started becoming assaulted by their text messages. Apparently the quality of their service has declined to the extent where they send me an alert, retract that alert, then retract the retraction of that alert. Observe below.

From: Vodafone Topup

Weekends has been added
to your account. There’s
no charge, spend just
£2.50 in the week and get
free texts all weekend.
Call 2345 for info

Okay, all is looking fine at the moment. I do, indeed, qualify for Free Weekend Texts, which is awesome, because I do most of my texting in the weekend. They shouldn’t have to follow up on that…should they?

From: Vodafone
Time: 20-10-2009 16:32:18
Sorry, Free Weekends is
only available for pay as
you go customers so we
have been unable to add it
to your account.

Okay, what? I am a pay as you go customer, and you already confirmed that it’s been added to my account! What’s up?

From: Vodafone
Time: 22-10-2009 11:15:46
The clocks go back this
w’end so here’s 1hour of
free texts 2-3pm this Fri.
Terms&info click free
zr/friday To stop
textSTOP to9774

From: Vodafone
Time: 22-10-2009 14:31:25
Sorry for the Free
Weekends message sent in
error. Free Weekends has
successfully been added
to your pay as you go
account. Sorry for any
confusion caused.

Thanks for the clarification. Is the nightmare over yet? Not quite. Remembering that I have an hour of free texts on Friday, I send a text message, only to receive the notification that I’ve gone onto the IOU credit pool, an extra amount of emergency credit allocated to me if I spend more money than I have.

From: Vodafone Topup
Time: 23-10-2009 14:36:59
You are now using your #2
IOU credit from Vodafone.
The amount you use and
the 30p service fee will be
taken from your next
TopUp

From: Vodafone
Time: 23-10-2009 17:30:10
Sorry,due to a system
error you were charged for
SMS sent between 2-3pm
today that should have
been free.We’ll refund you
and let you know when this
is done

All right, that’s finally over (at least, I hope so). I do appear to have been reimbursed for that text, so Vodafone won’t be getting any angry calls from me – only ranting blog posts. Over and out.

Written by Connor Beaton

Because Connor’s so awesome, and prone to doing things without getting prior permission from his superiors, he’s the only person on this blog with a biography. Isn’t that awesome? So, uh… Connor’s this cool, racist and sexist Scottish kid who lives in a cottage and probably eats stovies and haggis all day. Hey, it’s straight from the horse’s mouth so it must be true, right? He’s also incredibly sexy and has three girlfriends, all of whom love him for his long locks of blonde hair. That and his big junk. Can’t forget the big junk.

5 Comments

1. kevan shaw · September 11, 2010

could not find the number to burnmy last 8pence off

2. peter edyvane · December 24, 2009

i have been with vodafone 4 bout 9 yearz on a pay az you go tariff n’ have been toppin up with between £80 – £140 per month 4 da duration. i waz then approached thro’ sms 2 take on a contract with orange which all went thro’ fine until i tried 2 uze da phone, i juzt couldn’t retain a zignal for longer than a minute then i couldn’t hear da other perzon or viz verza, zo i ended da contract on da 7th day. no problem, it got me thinkin if i could do da zame with vodphone my zignal would b ok. zo i approached vodafone, they fell over backwardz 2 help me but one of of my main ztipluationz 4 takin it on waz that i can ztill talk 2 my wife in thailand every day for da zame price az my payg tariif of 15p per min, they zaid ‘no problem but it would added to your ‘free’ minutez, bit of a draw-bak but not da end of da world, zo i went ahead with it.
    when i tried 2 phone out to my girl in thailand it came with ‘callz 2 thiz number r barred, zo i’m ztraight on da phone 2 them and after being bounced frpom puillar 2 pozt for bout an hour, ifinally find that all international callz r barred for the firzt3 or 6 monthz (i can’t quite remember coz da,’international callz r barred’ waz ztill boucing around in me head), thiz iz juzt in caze i build up a big bill n’ don’t pay it.
    zo after much, (ie 3 of different headz of dept), meanderin n’ cajolin, and emphazizin ‘why the fukk would i b takin on an account to reduce my ‘grozz’ outlay for the period i had done it over, juzt 2 build up a big bill, i even offered 2 payy the firzt 3 monthz up front
    but they were totally inflexible zo i went 2 the head office n’ chatted with da man in charge via an engineer n’ the best they cood come up with waz, if i pay over £100 cazh in2 their bank the following day, they unbar my international callz, zo i zaid quite naturally fukk u i’ll juzt uze my other zim 2 ring her 15p per min az i have been already doin 4 2 yearz now, which iz cheaper than anyone elze
    but talk about total intranzagence though eh!!!

3. zConnection · October 26, 2009

Mm. Vodafone are generally great, I'm kind of caught off-guard with this as well…I might leave them for O2 or another provider in the future, but I am pleased to know that either on purpose or by accident that I can use my mobile as a mobile dial-up modem apparently for free. :3

4. Bran · October 25, 2009

…Hahahahaha.

5. Ryan Lalonde · October 25, 2009

Wow, it seems that they are very unorganised with the whole free text messaging for the weekened thing.
    If Rogers did something like this I'd of probably left them. Then again they're the best service in Canada and they're pretty good for stuff like this.

Add Your Thoughts